Tim Schulte has been with the firm since its beginnings in the spring of 2006. He spent roughly the first half of his life in Germany where he graduated from the law school of the Georg-August Universität in Göttingen. After teaching English as a Second Language at Cornell University for several years, he went back to law school, receiving an LL.M. from the College of William & Mary and a J.D. from the University of Richmond.
Since 1997, Tim has been a trial lawyer in Virginia with a strong focus on all legal aspects of the employment relationship. Representing mainly employees, he assists his clients in negotiating employment contracts and benefit packages. When employment relationships deteriorate, he represents his clients in grievances or other administrative procedures, for example before the EEOC or the Department of Labor. During a crisis – for example, the illness of the employee or the employee’s child or other family member – he helps in asserting the employee’s rights to medical leave under the FMLA or reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Further, he assists employees who are victims of wrongful termination or unlawful discrimination by negotiating severance agreements or navigating his clients’ cases through litigation.
Whether in direct negotiations with employers, in administrative proceedings before federal or state agencies, or in litigation in trial or appellate courts, he aggressively and skillfully looks after his clients’ interests.
Tim has been recognized as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Employment & Labor Law (2009-2020) and was named a Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in 2020.
- Feminist Majority Foundation v. Hurley, 911 F. 3d 674 (4th Cir. 2018)
- Rodriguez v. City of Hopewell Sch. Bd., 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 132421 (E.D. Va. July 27, 2020)
- White v. Va. Bd. for Disabilities, 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 16792 (E.D. Va. Feb. 1, 2019)
- Walsh v. Greater Richmond Ass’n for Retarded Citizens, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 211382 at *10 (E.D. Va. Dec. 14, 2018)
- Nat’l Fair Hous. Alliance, Inc. v. Hunt Invs., LLC, 3015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 71010 (E.D. Va. June 2, 2015)
- Pickering v. Va. State Police, 59 F. Supp. 3d 742 (E.D. Va. 2014)
- Croy v. Blue Ridge Bread, Inc., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 98734 (W.D. Va. July 15, 2013)
- McNeil v. Haley South, Inc., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 95658 (E.D. Va. Sept. 13, 2010)
- Francisco v. Verizon South Inc., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 77083 (E.D. Va. July 29, 2010)
- Gerschick v. ECPI College of Technology, L.C. et al., 2:09-cv-00271-TEM (E.D. Va. August 6, 2009)
- SEHO North America, Inc. v. Trovato, 3:07-cv-00273-RLW (E.D. Va. July 10, 2007)
- Rated by SuperLawyers since 2009.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers since 2014, named a Lawyer of the Year in Virginia in 2020.
“I’m candid with my clients and particular about the cases I take on. I tell them that litigation can be costly, sometimes financially and very often emotionally. There is no easy case. In many cases putting their negative experiences behind them and moving on is the most sensible solution. But most of my clients simply can’t move on; they have been hurt too much. Their lives have come off the rails. And in those cases, I will do whatever I can to help.”
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia, J.D., 1997
- College of William & Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia, LL.M., 1993
- Georg-August Universität, School of Law, Göttingen, Germany, Staatsexamen, 1987
- All Virginia Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Virginia Employment Lawyers Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association